Building resilience to crises

Building resilience to crises

Sustainability, flexibility and competitiveness are the three basic pillars of the Kingdom’s energy policy.

In a difficult context where the energy fundamentals are increasingly undermined both by the increased volatility of commodity prices and by the uncertainty about what will be the demand, the time is more than ever to efficiency and good governance in the way of managing our energy transition, said the Minister of Energy Transition and Sustainable Development, Leïla Benali, during the conference-debate organized on Friday June 17, 2022, at the headquarters of the Faculty of Casablanca law, by the Links university foundation.

Before addressing the main challenges of the national energy policy, which are the financing mechanisms (both private and public), the use of land (“how to value the natural capital which must be accompanied by manufacturing capital and human”) and the flexibility of the energy system (“how to understand the storage services offered by our electricity system, especially if we want medium voltage”, she said) Minister Benali did not fail to raise the problem of access to competitive energy, and this in an equitable manner throughout the territory, while recalling that the objective of rural electrification has been achieved at 99.6%. However for the remaining 0.4%, “we remain frustrated as long as the problem of the last kilometer or meter is not yet resolved”, she says in substance.

Energy mix
Addressing, at the end of her presentation, other subjects no less important than the legislative and regulatory framework (stability of contracts and the commercial framework), industrial integration or governance of the sector, Minister Benali believes that much remains to be done. , without forgetting to highlight the great assets available to the Kingdom, particularly in terms of energy mix, renewable energies (Morocco aims to produce 85% of its electrical energy from renewable sources by 2050) and energy efficiency. Isn’t our country trying to position itself on the question of hydrogen, our future phosphate? energy is experiencing unprecedented fluctuations, the efforts made by the Kingdom in terms of diversification of energy resources set it up as an example in the region.

Thus, throughout his precise and concise presentation, and a rich debate in which participated, in particular, Driss Benhima, former minister, Ahlam Ennouhi, expert-consultant in renewable energies, and Riad Mekouar, professor of economics at the Faculty of Law of Casablanca, Ms. Benali did not fail to let it be known that the government has a strategy aimed at raising the Kingdom’s energy security to a strategic level, as recommended in the New Development Model. (NMD). In this regard, she noted that the Executive is making tireless efforts to source low-carbon energy for the service and industry sectors, noting, however, that an energy-importing country like the Morocco “suffers the effects of turbulence in energy prices given the global geopolitical context”.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *