Kevin Spacey has “vigorously” denied accusations of sexual assault against three men in the United Kingdom, during his comparison in a London court on Thursday. Judge Tan Ikram has decided to leave him free until a next hearing on July 14, which will take place at Southwark Court in London.
Upon his arrival by car, Kevin Spacey was greeted by a swarm of photographers and cameras, smiling, but without commenting. He left the same way on the show for a short half-hour audience.
“Mr. Spacey resolutely denies any criminal act”
Determined to vindicate her innocence, the star of the series House of Cardswhose career has been cut short by a series of accusations since the Weinstein case, appeared calm and confident at Westminster Magistrates Court.
At the start of the hearing, the actor, in a blue suit, gave his identity – Kevin Spacey Fowler -, his date of birth – July 26, 1959 – and his address in London, then the charges against him were read to him. .
“Mr. Spacey resolutely denies any foul play in this case,” said his lawyer, Patrick Gibbs. “He must answer these charges to move on with his life,” he added. The prosecutor said the actor had “cooperated fully with the investigation but asked that he be released on parole with an obligation to remain in London.
“All his business is in the United States”
His lawyer, Patrick Gibbs, argued that the actor wanted to “go on with his life” and that “all his business is in the United States”, where he has family and “a nine-year-old dog”. This brief hearing, devoted to procedural questions, marks the beginning of what promises to be a long legal battle. Kevin Spacey is accused of four sexual assaults on three men, whose names have not been made public, between March 2005 and April 2013.
He is also accused of forcing one of them into penetrative sexual activity without their consent, a charge that is distinct from rape (which involves penetration with a penis) in English law.
Some facts were allegedly committed in the Lambeth district of London, where the Old Vic theater is located, of which he was artistic director between 2004 and 2015. After the green light given by the British prosecution to prosecution, the actor said to himself “Disappointed” but had announced his intention to appear in front of the British justice to “Prove his innocence”.
The lawsuits dropped in the United States
In the United States, Kevin Spacey has been the target of numerous accusations of harassment and sexual assault, revealed in the fall of 2017. In his country, Kevin Spacey had been charged with indecent assault and sexual assault in the state of Massachusetts on the east coast. He was accused of having, in July 2016, got his hands on the sex of an 18-year-old young man employed in a bar, after having made him drink. But the charges were dropped in July 2019.
In late May, he appeared before a New York judge for a procedural hearing in a civil suit brought by actor Anthony Rapp, who accused him of making sexual advances on her when he was teenager. Kevin Spacey had denied and the action was dropped in criminal proceedings.